Friday, May 11, 2012

"Methods of Evangelism".....

It has been a really long time since I posted a blog on here.  I never finished talking about my whole trip to Uganda.  It was hard to finish for many reasons.  Love Feeds' 501c3 status is currently pending and we're praying/hoping to get an approval letter any day now.  There has been some slow growth and then large bursts of growth.  Satan has come so hard against us with warfare, but we shall overcome!!  He hates us because we are for God!! BUT, if God is for us, who can be against us!!!  Please keep us in your prayers!! As God starts bringing more vision into our ministry, Satan comes at us even harder with attacks!!  We are so weak and human, but through our weaknesses, God's strength shines through!! 

For those of you who may not know, I've been attending Liberty University Online since January of this year.  I'm getting a Bachelor's in Religion and Intercultural Studies.  I have completed 4 classes already.  One of them was an evangelism class.  I receieved a 100 on my "Methods of Evangelism" paper.  I'm posting it here to share with anyone who would like to read it....


“Methods of Evangelism”

 Part ONE – Evangelistic Method #1 – The Romans Road is an “Intellectual” Method of Evangelism.  It’s a simple, direct way to spread the good news.  Why we need salvation, how God provided salvation, how we can receive salvation, and the results of salvation are all explained in The Romans Road.  This method is a “road” through the book of Romans.  First, Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (KJV)  Second, Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Third, Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”  Fourth, Roman 10:9, “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” And Romans 10:13, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”  The last step contains Romans 5:1; 8:1; 8:38-39, “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (5:1), “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (8:1), “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,  neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (8:38-39)

The Romans Road has its advantages and disadvantages.  One advantage is that it is very simple and to the point.  It is easy for most people to understand.  When I was led to Christ, my pastor’s wife read The Romans Road to me.  I was a child and I understood.  I would say that one disadvantage to The Romans Road is that often it is too “cut and dry”.  Most people use the “Sinner’s Prayer” after this method.  The person witnessing should make sure to tell the lost person that it’s not the act of saying the prayer that saves you.  To be saved, you must believe the words in your heart and confess them with your mouth.

Part TWO – Evangelistic Method #2 – Servant Evangelism is a “Relational” Method of Evangelism.  Servant Evangelism can be described as: Demonstrating the kindness and grace of God by offering to do some act of humble service with no strings attached.  While serving, one should also be intentional about sharing the gospel.  As Christians, we’re to follow Jesus’ example.  Jesus left Heaven and humbled Himself to serve mankind.  Matthew 20:28 says, “The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  According to Matthew 25:35-40, when we serve others, we are also serving Him.  Matthew 25:35-40 states, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.   I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’   “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’   “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” (NIV) 

There are many advantages to Servant Evangelism, but I will just name a few.  When we put love into action by serving others, they feel loved instead of condemned.  Serving others opens the door to share the gospel with them.  Servant Evangelism exemplifies the ministry model of Jesus.  In Philippians 2, we’re told to have the humble servant attitude of Christ.  It is hard for me to see in disadvantages to this method.  I do see that sometimes Christians can get caught up in serving and lose sight of why they’re serving.  Sometimes people start taking all the glory and praise for it, when in reality; everything we do should be for Him and His glory.

Part THREE – Evangelistic Method #3 – Door to Door Evangelism is a “Confrontational” Method.   It is also referred to as the “Door Knocking” Method.  There are various ways to use the Door to Door Method.  Generally, a small group of people from a church will go door to door in their community to witness to the unsaved, invite them to church, and pray with them.  Some churches merge Servant Evangelism and Door to Door together by offering acts of service when they are going door to door. 

There are some advantages and disadvantages to the Door to Door Method.  If done in the right way, it can yield great results.  When going door to door, one must remember to always be polite and show the love of Jesus.  One disadvantage is that some people become too aggressive with their outreach and it intimidates others.  This doesn’t produce any fruit.  Also, the Door to Door Method can make people annoyed that you interrupted what they were doing at that time.  Some people may even take it as rude.  Therefore, they don’t want to hear anything you have to say.

Part FOUR – Application of These Methods to Your Own Life – I have used two of these three methods in my life.  The Door to Door Method was used when I was a teenager and helped with the bus ministry at my church.  We went to neighborhoods throughout our city searching for children to take to church on Sunday mornings.  I remember the door being slammed in our faces many times.  Mostly, I remember the smiling faces we began picking up every Sunday morning for church.  Some of the children’s parents even began attending.  We began seeing some of these souls saved.  A few are still at that church back in my hometown some fifteen years later. 

Today, the more appropriate method that suits me is Servant Evangelism.  Looking back I can see the signs of a servant’s heart throughout my life.  In my junior year of high school I was voted “Most Dependable”.  Everyone could count on me to help them out.  For a few months after graduating high school I worked in a nursing home.  I grew to love serving these elderly people.  Eleven years, a husband and child later, evidence of my servant’s heart reappeared.  While planning our move to Nashville, TN I just knew that God had something big for us here in ministry.  I didn’t know the details, but I knew God did.  After moving here, God led us to an amazing church that I believe has the heart of Jesus towards the world.  They are all about serving people here and around the world in His name.  Less than two years after moving here, God laid it on my heart to start our non-profit ministry, Love Feeds.  The meaning behind the name is that love feeds needs, whatever they may be.  The Love Feeds Mission Statement says, “Our mission is to be more like Christ and feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the unclothed, look after the sick, and take in the stranger that needs a home. It is to show the love of Jesus by meeting the needs of the impoverished, homeless, orphaned, and less fortunate, not only here in America but around the world.”   It’s not just about food.  It’s about helping meet any need that a person might have and hopefully leading them to Jesus in the process.  Jesus humbled himself to serve others.  I believe every single Christian should do the same.  Love reaches more people than anything else.  Non-believers don’t want to hear how terrible they are.  They need to know that we love them and Jesus does as well.  If we go around condemning them, they want nothing to do with us.  We should just love them like Jesus and let the Holy Spirit do His work to teach them what is right and what is wrong.  Love covers a multitude of sins. (I Peter 4:8)





References

Romans Road Method, Beans.Rice.God, http://www.beansricegod.com

Early, D., & Wheelers, D. (2010). Evangelism Is… .  Bel Air, MD: Academx Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment